PATTERNS | WALKS | RECIPES | STORIES | INSPIRATION
A brand new journal for lovers of Shetland, its heritage, textiles and landscape, created and edited by Misa Hay, former editor of 60 North and the Shetland Wool Week Annual.
This beautiful journal is packed full of articles, recipes, knitting patterns and stunning photography, and if you are inspired or intrigued by the UK's northernmost archipelago you will love it. Exploring, the landscape, the people and, of course, the textiles, there are lovely in-depth articles to transport you to this most magical of places.
- A Sheep Like No Other – Ronnie Eunson explains why organic Shetland wool is undergoing a major upsurge in demand.
- Putting Down Roots at Garths Croft Bressay – Chris Dyer tells us why he and his wife moved to Shetland and have never looked back.
- The Ocean’s Warp and Weft – Going back to a time with Carol Christiansen, when woven cloth was finished in the sea around Shetland.
- Jarlshof – A walk through 4000 years of Shetland history – One of our tour guides and an archaeologist, Deborah Lamb, breathes life into the stones.
- A Brief History of Lerwick – Local historian Douglas M. Sinclair travels back in time to delve into Lerwick’s history.
- The Venice of the North – Examining the historical glory of Lerwick’s lodberries.
- The Unique Charm of the Island Croft House – Mike Finnie looks at the most traditional Shetland habitation.
- A Place of Safety – Vivian Ross-Smith looks at belonging, place and comfort.
Fair Isle Chairs – In 2018, Eve Eunson began an ambitious research project
to survey the traditional chairs of Fair Isle.
- A Moment to Escape – Be inspired by the breath taking views from most stunning points throughout Shetland.
- On the Trail of Jimmy Perez – We’ll join Laurie Goodlad on a tourist experience dedicated to the famous Shetland TV series.
- Spinning a Web of Wonderful Wool – Jamieson’s of Shetland is an extraordinary place to visit, the only working spinning mill in the isles. Gill Nadin takes us on a tour.
WALKS (by Gill Nadin)
Discover St Ninian’s Isle – A Real Treasure
A walk across the sea and into a magical island world full of secrets.
Land of Fire – Volcano Walking in Eshaness
A journey through some of Shetland’s most dramatic coastal scenery.
Undiscovered Shetland – Deepdale
A western wander, far from the madding crowd.
FOOD & RECIPES
- Rhubarbaria: The Pinkest Shetland Book – Hayley Anderton celebrates a book about a plant that grows in the isles and is both tasty and plentiful.
- Food for Thought – Marian Armitage speaks about the past, the present and the future of food in the isles.
- Shetland Recipes – Marian Armitage, James Martin of Peerie Shop Café, Wilma Malcolmson and Speldiburn Café share some favourite recipes with us.
KNITTING & PATTERNS
- Da Mirknen Mitts by Alison Rendall
- Hesti Hat by Ella Gordon
- Brough Shawl by Donna Smith
- Muckle Roe Gloves by Julie Dennison
- Nighthawk Skull Cap by Wilma Malcolmson
- Storm Dennis Snood by Misa Hay & Marie Bruhat